Twins is a Hong Kong-based female Cantopop duo which was created in the summer of 2001 by Emperor Entertainment Group (EEG). Twins is made up of two girls, Charlene Choi Cheuk-Yin and Gillian Chung Yan-Tung. They were a popular group in Hong Kong and a top band in China. Their fanbase included Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Canada, Australia and United States. Their music was generally targeted at young teens, but in 2004 they begun to attract a wider audience by venturing into different styles of music. In July 2008 the duo announced their split after the Edison Chen photo scandal involving Gillian Chung. After two years the group finally reunited in 2010.
Gillian Chung had also worked as a part-time model during one of her summer vacations in Hong Kong. Similar to her erstwhile partner, Charlene Choi was also a part-time model who had appeared in several advertisements. She became famous after her participation in the Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) television program Y2K. Both caught the attention of EEG manager Mani Fok (霍汶希). They subsequently auditioned for and later formed the duo known as "Twins".
2001: Singing duoEdit
After the pop duo was formed, Twins started their career in the summer of 2001, and was recognized for the song "明愛暗戀補習社". They initially collaborated with MSN to make personal pages and web games. Their first 2001 EP Twins (AVEP) went platinum in its first week of sales. During their first two years, Twins released 3 EPs and 3 albums, all of which sold very well. Most of their songs stayed at the top of many different musical charts for several weeks.
Twins had their first concert in 2002 and three more in 2003, one of which was held in Guangzhou. Between 2001 and 2003, they received a total of 72 total awards. By 2003, they have received a large number of awards from the four major Hong Kong media organizations of RTHK, Commercial Radio Hong Kong, Metro Radio and TVB.
At the 2006 Hong Kong Entertainment Awards ceremony Choi tearfully acknowledged that there have been criticisms of the Twins' singing abilities and that she hoped that they could better improve in the coming year.
In February 2007, they celebrated their sixth year together in the Hong Kong music industry. They released a special Sixth Anniversary New + Best Selection CD/DVD. In September of the same year, Twins embarked on a multi-city North American concert tour, with special guests Sun Boy'Z. International stops included San Francisco, Toronto, and Atlantic City. It was their first time performing on a major tour across several North American cities.
2005: Split rumoursEdit
In December 2005 a rumour mentioned the splitting of the two singers. However, they attended the May 2006 MTV Asia Awards in Thailand together. They were nominated for and won the Hong Kong Favorite artist award.
2008: Edison Chen photo scandalEdit
The group was dragged into the fray when images of Gillian were among those which found their way onto the internet at the end of February 2008. With Gillian deciding to duck out of the public eye, Twins announced its "temporary dissolution" in July 2008. Charlene said she was highly optimistic that they will reunite some day
On January 16, 2009, during a TVB interview on My 2008 (我的2008), Choi talked about how she handled the media. During the 31st RTHK Top 10 Gold Songs Awards hosted in January 2009, Choi said Twins would return.
2010: Twins reunificationEdit
Two years after the split, many have wondered whether Twins had become a myth. In February 2010 Charlene Choi talked to the media about her experience in going solo. She summed up the experience by describing the name of her song "Two without one" (二缺一). Since then she has hoped for the return of the duo. She said that Twins was a symbol for the generation, and that they would never split apart.
On the night of 27 February 2010 the "EEG 10th anniversary concert" was held at The Venetian Macao luxury hotel. A number of singers were present including EEG and non-EEG representatives. Some notables include Joey Yung, Nicholas Tse, Leo Ku, Vincy Chan, William Chan, Yumiko Cheng, Anthony Wong and many more. Gillian Chung and Charlene Choi appeared on stage together for the first time in two years to do a small performance for the anniversary concert. They sang (風箏與風), (下一站天后), (女校男生), (飲歌), (戀愛大過天) and (人人彈起).
A few days later on 3 March, Twins appeared in public at the Harbour plaza after parading around in a purple porsche. A public announcement was made that Twins will reunite to perform in a two day "Nokia Twins 2010 concert" on 16th and 17 April at the Hong Kong Coliseum in Hung Hom. The last time they performed at the same stage was four years ago.
Featuring Both Charlene and Gillian:
- 2002 June 14 Summer Breeze of Love (這個夏天有異性)
- 2002 September 19 Just One Look (一碌蔗)
- 2003 June 23 Twins Effect (千機變)
- 2003 November 6 The Death Curse' (古宅心慌慌)
- 2004 January 15 Fantasia (鬼馬狂想曲)
- 2004 February 3 Protege de la Rose Noire (見習黑玫瑰)
- 2004 April 8 Love on Rocks (戀情告急)
- 2004 August 6 Twins Effect II (千機變II: 花都大戰)
- 2004 November 25 6 AM (大無謂)
- 2005 March 24 House of Fury (精武家庭)
- 2005 July 21 Bug Me Not! (蟲不知)
- 2007 February 15 Twins Mission (雙子神偷)
- 2007 September 6 Naraka19..(地獄第19層)
- 2002 September 13–15 Ichiban Amazing Show (Twins Ichiban 興奮演唱會)
- 2003 January 18–19 Matsunichi Twins Guangzhou Amazing Show (松日Twins廣州興奮演唱會)
- 2003 June 25 Tou Hao Ren Wu Chang Hao Music Concert (頭號人物唱好音樂會)
- 2003 August 2 Netvigator NETCash Pop-up Concert ( 網上行叱吒樂壇Pop-Up音樂會)
- 2003 December 31 - 2004 January 4 Matsunichi Twins 04 Concert (Twins 04 好玩演唱會)
- 2005 June 3 Starlight Amusement Park Concert (Australia)
- 2006 January 4–7 Twins Star Mobile Incomparable Concert (Twins 星Mobile 一時無兩演唱會)
- 2006 August 18–19 Twins Concert in Genting Malaysia
- 2007 September 15 Twins in Concert Cow Palace, San Francisco/Daly city
- 2007 September 18 Twins Concert in Toronto at Casino Rama (我們相愛6年)
- 2007 September 22–23 Twins Sixth Anniversary World Tour 2007 [Atlantic City] (Twins 我們相愛6年 環遊世界[大西洋城]演唱會)
- 2010 April 16–18 Twins Everyone Bounce Concert (Twins 人人彈起 Concert)
- 2001 November Twins 1+1 Photo Album' 96 pages
- 2001 August Twins Love The Colorful Travel 112 pages
- 2003 August Twins Love Hong Kong 112 pages
- 2004 December Twins Hold Hands Hong Kong 112 pages