Sandy Lam, whose ancestral hometown is Ningbo, was born in Hong Kong and began her career at the age of sixteen, getting a job as a D.J. for Commercial Radio Hong Kong. She began her singing career in 1984 when she was signed to CBS Sony. Her first single was I Don't Know About Love. Sandy Lam has recorded not only with CBS Sony in the 1980s, but also with Warner Music, Rock Records (Taiwan's largest independent label), Virgin Records, and now Capitol Music.
Sandy Lam started her singing career in Hong Kong in the mid 80s with a string of up-tempo Japanese style songs. She then issued some "City-Rhythm" R&B tracks. In 1991 she released the ground breaking coming-of-age "Wildflower" album to rave reviews, part of the "unplugged" craze in the Cantopop scene.
Lam gained popularity in Taiwan with her debut Mandarin release "愛上一個不回家的人" (Home Again Without You) in 1991. In 1995, she teamed up with Jonathan Lee, Taiwanese music producer, and released her 4th Mandarin album Love, Sandy featuring a hit single "傷痕" (Scars), which became one of the all time best selling Chinese language albums. Since then Sandy has moved beyond the Hong Kong music scene and spent most of her time in Taiwan, China, and Japan. Her 2006 Mandarin language album "Breathe Me" was recorded in Korea, Taiwan, mainland China and Hong Kong.
Lam returned to the music scene with a hit single "至少還有你" (At Least I Still Have You) from her first album with Virgin in 2000. It was on the KTV Music Chart for 8 months. A Korean remake of the song, sung by Super Junior-M, a sub-group of the K-Pop band Super Junior, was released in their Me album titled 당신이기에 (Tangshiniki-e) in 2008. In December 2001 she released a Mandarin-language album entitled "Truly Sandy", on which she co-wrote four songs. In the same year, Lam appeared as cast member of an Andrew Lloyd Webber concert Masterpiece, which also featured West End and Broadway star Elaine Paige and China's all-time best-selling recording artist, American-Chinese Kris Phillips. This concert was sold out with an audience of over 17,700 people.
Lam has won many awards in the course of her career, including Best Regional Performing Female Artist, Best Album, Best Female Vocalist, the Asia Pacific Most Outstanding Female Artist, and an honorary Music Award for her contributions to the music industry.
Sandy is now working on her 14th Cantonese album which is expected to be released in 2008.
Lam married Taiwanese singer-songwriter and producer Jonathan Lee in 1998, but the pair divorced in 2004. Together, they have a daughter Li Xi Er (李喜兒), born May 17, 1998. The year after the divorce, she was in a relationship with Chan Fai Hung, an employee of Gold Label Records until July 2006, citing her demanding schedules after her return to the Hong Kong entertainment circle. She has reportedly been single since this time.
- Lam Yik Lin (林憶蓮) - Released April 1985
- Let Alone (放縱) - Released March 1986
- Yik Lin (憶蓮) - Released February 1987
- Grey (灰色) - Released August 1987
- Ready - Released June 1988
- City Project Part I - City Rhythm (都市觸覺Part I City Rhythm) - Released December 1988
- City Project Part II - Fuir La Cite (都市觸覺Part II 逃離鋼筋森林) - Released October 1989
- City Project Part III - Faces And Places (都市觸覺Part III Faces And Places) - Released August 1990
- Home Again Without You (愛上一個不回家的人) - Released December 1990
- Drifting (夢了、瘋了、倦了) - Released February 1991
- City Heart (都市心) - Released October 1991
- Wildflower (野花) - Released December 1991
- Come Back To Love (回來愛的身邊) - Released October 1992
- Begin Again (不如重新開始) - Released April 1993
- It Doesn't Matter Who I Am (不必在乎我是誰) - Released May 1993
- Simple - Released March 1994
- Sandy '94 - Released June 1994
- Love, Sandy - Released January 1995
- Open Up - Released March 1995
- Feeling Perfect (感覺完美) - Released January 1996
- I Swear (愛是唯一) - Released February 1996
- Night Too Dark (夜太黑) - Released July 1996
- Wonderful World (美妙世界) - Released January 1997
- Clang Rose (鏗鏘玫瑰) - Released January 1999
- Lam Yik Lin's (林憶蓮's) - Released January 2000
- 2001 Lian (2001蓮) - Released December 2000
- Truly (原來…林憶蓮) - Released December 2001
- S/L  - Released 10 November 2005
- Breathe Me (呼吸)  - Released 26 August 2006
- City Project Part I - City Rhythm Take Two (都市觸覺Part I City Rhythm Take Two) - Released April 1989
- City Project - Dynamic Reaction (都市觸覺之推搪) - Released April 1990
- Dance Mega Mix (傾斜都市燒燒燒) - Released December 1990
- Love Returns - Released October 1996
- Encore - Released June 2002