Nicholas Tse (aka Tse Ting-fung, (謝霆鋒, born 29 August 1980) is a Hong Kong based Chinese singer-songwriter, actor and musician, and son of actor Patrick Tse. He is a member of the Emperor Entertainment Group. Throughout his career, he has been a singer, an actor, a director, a producer, and a composer.
Early life Edit
Tse is the first of two children born to Hong Kong natives, actor Patrick Tse (Template:Lang) and actress Deborah Lee (Template:Lang) raised in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.He has a younger sister, Jennifer Tse. He was educated at St. George's School, Vancouver, and later attended Hong Kong International School for one year before dropping out at grade 10. For a year he lived in Phoenix, Arizona before going back to Vancouver. He also studied music in Japan before returning to Hong Kong. He has dual Canadian and Hong Kong citizenship.
Tse was singing at a party for a family friend when he was discovered by Albert Yeung, head of Emperor Entertainment Group. In 1997 Tse would sign a record deal with EEG under the Fitto label, releasing his first album, "My Attitude". The album was ranked 3rd on the top selling CD chart of IFPI. It was that year where he won the most popular new artist award.
Tse received mainstream success in 1998 with songs like "早知" and "如果只得一星期" and became a prominent successor in the entertainment industry. His first Jade Solid Gold Top 10 song award came in 1999 with his popular song "非走不可".
In 2000, Tse released the album and song "活著VIVA", regarded as his most popular song ever, furthered his career significantly. It was after this song which he became an A-list singer at the time. In 2001, he released the album "玉蝴蝶." The album had two hit songs: "玉蝴蝶" and "潛龍勿用".
Nicholas Tse's most notable action films are Dragon Tiger Gate, Gen-X Cops, Young and Dangerous: The Prequel, and Invisible Target. He also collaborated with Jackie Chan in New Police Story. Tse has also acted in romance films including Tiramisu and Jade Goddess of Mercy. Only later in his career did he participate in comedy roles including Enter the Phoenix, McDull, the Alumni, A Chinese Tall Story. In the Hong Kong translated version of A Bug's Life (Template:Lang), the character Flik was dubbed by Tse. He also lent his voice to the Chinese animation film Lotus Lantern. Tse has also won a film award for Bodyguards and Assassins in 2010, at the 4th Asian Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor.
Tse has starred in two (or three) TVB Hong Kong local dramas depends how you look at it this including Aiming High (Template:Lang), The Monkey King: Quest for the Sutra (Template:Lang) which is more of comedy or adventure than a drama and the documentary On the Road II (Template:Lang) in Cambodia. The rest of his drama series are filmed and produced by Mainland China companies. Most of Tse's drama are wuxia series, which are based in ancient Chinese societies.
2002 motoring incidentEdit
In the early morning of 23 March 2002, Tse crashed his Ferrari 360 Modena in Hong Kong Central. Initially it was claimed that his driver was responsible for the crash, but further investigation by the ICAC revealed the story was fabricated, involving three other men and a police officer. Tse spent two weeks in prison and was sentenced to 240 hours of community service for obstruction of justice. Officer Lau Chi-Wai was sentenced to six months in prison. Although some viewed this charge as lenient, the 240 hours was the maximum punishment for this offense, given that Tse was a young offender at the time (21 years and 7 months). Nonetheless, some claimed that the sentence would send out a wrong message to Hong Kong youths, but it could be argued handing out a harsher sentence because he was a celebrity is just as inappropriate as handing out a lighter one. This incident had caused him to have a downfall in popularity. Tse have said that money to him has gone up by 40% since the accident. The car was originally a gift from the company EEG, as Tse himself accounted for 56% of the revenue.
2002 assault allegationsEdit
Tse has had his share of brush-ups with "paparazzi". A photographer of Sudden Weekly magazine accused Tse of hitting him outside a restaurant in Taiwan, bruising his nose and elbow. Although Tse denied the assault charge, he settled in July 2002.
2003 motoring incidentEdit
Tse had another accident in 2003, where he crashed his Toyota Camry into Wan Chai train station. He was banned from driving for six months and fined HK$4000 for reckless driving. Prior to this, he was fined HK$7000 and had his license suspended for a year for two separate charges of speeding.
2005 motoring incidentEdit
He later had another accident in November 2005, where he collided with a Public Security Bureau Bus in a Audi RS4 in Lantau. He was banned from driving for another six months and fined HK$4,000, again for reckless driving. After the incident, Tse has resorted to traveling on a motorbike or scooter instead of an automobile.
After the police charge, Tse spent several months to "discover himself", then releasing the album Reborn. He has stated that he will be taking a break from singing and focusing on his acting for a year.
2008 Edison Chen photo scandalEdit
In February 2008, his wife was implicated in the Edison Chen photo scandal, when intimate photographs of her were widely distributed on the internet. The couple and their relationship were under intense media spotlight, particularly from the gossip magazines, as a result.
Tse once had a relationship with musician Faye Wong, who is 11 years Tse's senior. On 31 July 2006, Tse officially admitted dating Cecilia Cheung in an interview with Hong Kong commercial radio station 881/903. On 29 September 2006, Tse showed off his wedding ring at the Hong Kong International Airport, announcing he and Cecilia Cheung were married in a secret wedding ceremony in the Philippines. The couple's son, Lucas, was born on August 2, 2007. Cheung gave birth to their second son, Quintus, on May 12, 2010.
- Main article: Nicholas Tse discography
Most of Nicholas Tse's songs are based in the Cantopop rock genre. Including "front, back, left, right" (前前後後左左右右), "Exposure" (曝光) and "Lonely Base" (寂寞堂口). Some of his songs are produced in Tse's own 'Nic Production' which was revealed in TVB interviews several times. However, one of Tse's most classical pop rock song is "Live Viva" (活著 Viva), which MTV features Tse with his flame guitar and a flamethrower, this song is widely known in Hong Kong.
Tse has also sang a number of duets with fellow cantopop singers, namely "Love" (愛) with Charlene Choi, "Second Life" (第二世), "Amen" (阿門) both with Joey Yung, "Kid" (細路) with Eason Chan, "You Cant Stop Me" with Sam Lee and Stephen Fung and "Beauty and the Beast" with Meilin 梅琳.
- Young and Dangerous: The Prequel (少年古惑仔之激鬥編) (1998) (Tse wins 'Best New Performer' in the Hong Kong Film Awards)
- Gen-X Cops (特警新人類) (1999)
- A Man Called Hero (中華英雄) (1999)
- Metade Fumaca (半支煙) (1999)
- Street Angels (少女党) (1999)
- The Mirror (怪談之魔鏡) (1999)
- Twelve Nights (十二夜) (2000)
- Winner Takes All (大贏家) (2000)
- Time and Tide (順流逆流) (2000) (Nominated and won: Venice Film Festival, Nominated: Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA)
- Comic King (漫畫風雲) (2001)
- Master Q 2001 (老夫子2001) (2001)
- Heroes in Love (戀愛起義) (2001) [writer/co-director only] (Nominated: Stockholm Film Festival)
- My Schoolmate, the Barbarian (我的野蠻同學) (2001)
- 2002 (2001)
- Tiramisu (戀愛行星) (2002)
- Demi-Haunted (魂魄唔齊) (2002)
- The Medallion (2003) [cameo]
- Jade Goddess of Mercy (玉觀音) (2004) (Nominated: Moscow International Film Festival, Nominated and won: Verona Love Screens Film Festival)
- Enter the Phoenix (大佬愛美麗) (2004) [cameo]
- Moving Targets (2004新紮師兄) (2004)
- New Police Story (新警察故事) (2004)
- A Chinese Tall Story (情癲大聖) (2005)
- The Promise(無極) (2005) (Nominated: Golden Globe, Fantasporto, Golden Trailer Awards)
- McDull, the Alumni (春田花花同學會) (2006)
- Dragon Tiger Gate (龍虎門) (2006)
- Rob-B-Hood (寶貝計畫/BB計畫) (2006) [cameo]
- The Heavenly Kings (四大天王) (2006) [cameo]
- Invisible Target (男兒本色) (2007)
- Beast Stalker (証人) (2008)
- Storm Rider Clash of the Evils (風雲決) (2008) [voice cast]
- The Storm Warriors (風雲2 - (Storm Riders Sequel) (2009)
- Bodyguards and Assassins (十月圍城) (2009) (Nominated: Asian Film Awards, Golden Globe, Fantasporto, Golden Trailer Awards and Won: Best Supporting Actor in Asian Film Awards and Hong Kong Film Award)
- Hot Summer Days (全城熱戀熱辣辣) (2010)
- The New Shaolin Temple (新少林寺) (2010)
- The Stool Pigeon (綫人) (2010)
- Aiming High (撻出愛火花) (1998) 20 episodes
- The Monkey King: Quest for the Sutra (齊天大聖孫悟空) (2002)
- The Proud Twins (小魚兒與花無缺) (2005)
- On the Road II (向世界出發II) (2007) Starr in Episodes 2–6
- Big Shot (大人物) (2007)
- Wing Chun (詠春) (2007) 40 Episodes
- The Spirit of the Sword (浣花洗劍錄) (Complete)